Time you spend building rapport and trust with your mentee will improve the success of the journey.
Here are key components you need to build that relationship -
1. Confidentiality in both directions is key. Do not discuss anything your mentee shares with you unless you have their permission. Remind your mentee of confidentiality at the beginning and end of every session.
2. Building rapport and trust are essential. Here are some ways you can build trust.
- Don’t rush. Spend enough time in the beginning getting to know each other, rather than rushing into goal setting and solutions.
- Do your research about your mentee so you’re not starting cold. Acknowledge their strengths.
- Believe your mentee has the best answers within themselves. Your job is to ask the right questions.
- Follow through – do what you say you are going to do.
- Be prepared to be vulnerable – don’t just share your hero stories. Also share the times you failed.
- Ask for and be open to feedback from your mentee.
- Be non-judgmental.
- Listen a lot! Talk a little.
- Ask open-ended questions
3. Ask open-ended questions to get to know your mentee.
- What are your values?
- What do you believe are strengths?
- What are you passionate about?
- What motivates you?
- What are you most proud of?
- What successes have you had?
- What have you taken away from your failures?